Sunday 14 July 2013

Challenges of Summer Eating

So far this summer finding something delicious to eat has been a challenge. I am not sure if this a common things but all those main yummy heart dishes seem too winter like. In summer I like to eat lots of fresh cold meals with lots of colour and flavour. So I took to one of my favourite recipes site for some inspiration, www.yummly.com, and sought out the help of my cooking savvy sister.


Minus the grilled chicken...


My sister and I share a favourite healthy restaurant, Chopped Leaf. My sister found a recipe for Black Bean and Corn Salsa, which is the main ingredient in the Chopped Leaf Southwest Salad (my personal favourite), having this recipe pretty much makes my summer! Just add lettuce (or spinach) and grilled chicken and tada a Southwest copy cat salad! 



Delicious Salsa





Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1 cup corn
1 cup black beans
1 cup red bell pepper
Purple onion to taste
1 cup ranch dressing
2 tbsp taco seasoning (I added more seasoning to my desired taste)


The second recipe I found on yummly.com...its a combination of a cucumber tomato salad and a greek salad. I have always loved feta cheese which brought me to greek salads, but it turns out I will never be able to wrap my head around why people like olives and for the longest time tomatoes were on my don't like list too. Thankfully tomatoes started to taste good and cucumbers have always been a favourite...so this salad is just perfect for my summer! Like, filling and feta filled lol

Cucumber Tomato Salad
2 diced tomatoes
2 cucumbers (diced)
1 cup green peppers  (diced, any colour of pepper works)
1 cup onion (diced)
2 tbsp sugar substitute (I used agave nectar)


Make it Greek....
Just add Feta Cheese and Krafts Greek salad dressing! 


FETA FETA FETA!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and stories about the challenges as you take them along side me!

Please comment below and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can! :)