Sunday 2 June 2013

Italian Date Night

I have always wanted to take a cooking class with my boyfriend (C). With Fettucini Alfredo being the key to my heart an Italian themed class sounded ideal, but when I went looking for a decent cooking class to take I realized it wasn't a spur of the moment date idea, apparently these things are booked up months in advance and not the cheapest idea around! Since I am a University student and supposed to be saving during my summer off from school it seems frivolous to spend excessive amounts of money on that so we had our own little cooking class date night at home :) The menu consisted of Gnocchi with pesto, Grilled Caesar salad and Italian soda's (Recipe or San Pelligrino), a meal that was meant to resemble my favourite meal from one of my favourite Italian restaurants in town, Vivo.

So Many Little Pieces!

The night started off fantastic with easily finding a good recipe...special thanks to 101 cookbooks, their recipes are practically foolproof...making a grocery list and setting out to the grocery store. I don't know about anyone else but I love grocery shopping with my man, we often end up racing grocery carts, riding on them like little kids, or accidentally running over his toes a few times (Sorry C!). Then home it was to start preparing our delicious supper. Things got a little hairy in the kitchen...Gnocchi is a challenge to learn from a recipe and a youtube video or two and it is very time consuming...making all the little individual pieces! But we persevered and things turned out not too bad. (TIP: go easy on the flour)


The grilled caesar salad was delicious to me but a little bit disappointing, since it was raining we tried it on the George Foreman grill. It may have worked but it just wasn't the same :( It got wilted way faster than it got grill marks. Nothing a little parmesan and caesar dressing can't disguise or cure though, so I can't complain...too much anyways. But a night spend with C is a night well spent to me :) Can't wait to try another night of cooking with him, I seemed to have agreed to try a seafood night though *bleh. Seafood and I are not friends, its just so...yucky smelling :( But it wouldn't being living if I didn't try everything at least once! Fingers crossed that one goes well!!!! 
Finished products...Mmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and stories about the challenges as you take them along side me!

Please comment below and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can! :)