Saturday 4 May 2013

Cupcake Four

Buttermilk...I have never bought, seen in a grocery store or used this! What a great start to a recipe, I'm confused...thank goodness it turned out to be an easy thing to substitute, or else this challenge could have ended a lot sooner then anticipated!

Red Velvet cupcakes are something I have always wanted to try and make though so it was fun to finally attempt that. I did learn that they are not as cool as I made them out to be in my head (did you know the red was just food colouring...kinda disappointing). I am not sure what I expected these cupcakes to be but it just wasn't like the cupcakes in my head. Not my favourite but a decent cupcake for a "chocolate" cupcake, plus I added sprinkles, whats not to like about sprinkled cupcakes :) Have you ever had Red Velvet cupcakes before? What did you think of them?

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
Red Velvet Cupcakes

Ingredients...
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp food colouring
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
-  1 tsp vanilla


Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, egg, food colouring, vinegar, and vanilla. While mixing at medium speed, gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture until just combined. Fill cupcake liners. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Icing...
- 1 stick room temp. butter
- 2 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- dash of almond extract

Beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar, milk, vanilla, and almond extract and beat until spreadable consistency. Add additional sugar if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and stories about the challenges as you take them along side me!

Please comment below and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can! :)