Thursday 2 May 2013

Cupcake Two

My Pretty Mixer! :)

Cupcake Two and already a challenge. Something you guys should know about me is when it comes to toppings or icings on baking I am a helpless fool. So for the icing to work out well on Cupcake one was a miracle. Now to challenge me with a meringue topping so soon in the game was almost cruel! I am proud to report I succeeded (therefore even the worst bakers reading this can succeed at it too) and haven't run crying from my mixer yet. Thank goodness, cause its beautiful (to me anyways! My first Kitchenaid Mixer )


Also I don't know what I would do without a reason to buy the millions of different cupcake liners I like if I stopped baking! (seriously, its an addiction...they just look so pretty at  Michaels). But this icing still isn't my favourite...I like icings I can put on and leave on the counter for everyone to eat, so I opted out on the whip cream and instead topped them with the meringue and threw them back in the oven to bake on top the cupcake. It worked out really well and they can sit on the counter now with no stress!

Eton's Mess Cupcakes: Yellow Cake with Cream, Meringue and Strawberries

Ingredients...
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and eggs. Add milk and flour mixture alternatively while still mixing. Pour into lined cupcake pan. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Eton's Mess Cupcakes

Icing...
- 4 eggs whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gradually add sugar and vanilla and beat until mixture is stiff and glossy. Using knife or pastry bag, make meringue shapes on parchment or aluminum foil. Bake at 225F until shapes are crisp and firm. Frost cupcakes with whipped cream and pile with strawberries and meringue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and stories about the challenges as you take them along side me!

Please comment below and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can! :)