Friday 3 May 2013

Cupcake Three

This recipe was especially interesting to me...even more interesting when it turned out tasting yummy. My grandmother is a celiac (she can't eat anything with gluten in it...that means flour). So now when she comes to visit she won't have to eat my rice crispie cake for the millionth time while the rest of us enjoy delicious new cupcake recipes. She can join in on the dessert fun, my favourite way to bond. They turn out really light and fluffy and moist making it way to easy to eat too many!


The very next day I am just about to start making whip cream and topping these yummy treats to take pictures for all of you and I find them all shrivelled in their cupcake foils. :( I am not sure how to avoid this or if gluten free secretly means they won't look very pretty...any tips on how to alter the recipe to avoid this?
My poor shrivelled cupcake liners :(

Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Cream

Ingredients...
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar

A litt nicer looking once covered in whip cream :)

Melt butter and chocolate in a metal bowl, set in a pan of simmering water on low heat. Stir constantly until melter, then remove from heat. Wait a few minutes to let it cool then stir in the egg yolks (IMPORTANT - let it cool or you will cook your egg yolks when you mix them in). In a separate bowl beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Whisk some of the whites mixture into the chocolate and then pour back into the whites while stirring gently. Fill cupcake liners and bake at 275F for 25 minutes, or until cakes look soft and toothpick comes out mostly clean.


TIP: Since there is nothing to make these rise fill these to the top so they bake into a nice full cupcake! 

Icing...
- whipped cream
- espresso powder

Plop some whipped cream on the cupcakes just before serving with a sprinkle of espresso powder on top (or sprinkles...I love sprinkles).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and stories about the challenges as you take them along side me!

Please comment below and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can! :)